Re: [NTLK] Spam - Pe*nis growing!!!

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 10:09:01 PDT

------------------
>(*snip*)

Did you have to add that 'bobbitt'-snip??? :-o
------------------
>That said, I am also getting a lot of spam these days: V*agra, p*enis
>enlargment cream (yeah, right!), mor*tage offers, etc. Not sure where
>they're harvesting my e-mail address from; even on the newsgroups, the
>address is munged (gdwarnerNYET_at_mindspring.com).

Probably from friends who have your email addy and got the latest worms.
------------------
>I did, however, get an interesting piece of spam, supposedly from the
>billing department of my ISP (MindSpring, now EarthLink).
>
>This e-mail wanted me to update my credit card info by clicking a
>link, which led to a page with the domain of earthlink.com in it
>(earthlink.net is correct).

It's called 'phishing'. Phony sites that look real, even has direct links
to the real site. Linked from emails and/or fake sites to othe fake
sites/pages.
------------------
>"Important Informaiton Regarding Your Account 232" (yes, this is
>exactly how the subject line appeared, including the spelling error).

Check the entire header and double check the actual web address.
------------------
>Don't know how widespread this one is; I haven't received it on my
>main ISP (CableSpeed), so indeed it may be limited
>to EarthLink/MindSpring-related domains.

A few bank, auction, and ISP sites have been 'phised'.
------------------
>> Whatever you do, don't ask them to take you off their list.
>> That's guaranteed to have the exact opposite response.
>> John
>
>Yeah ... but someone suggested cc'ing anything you send to a spammer
>(the Nigerians, in this case) to the FTC's Fraud division ... but I
>think I'll pass on this one!
>
>--gdw

True, it's better to 'bounce' the email and forward to authorities. But
the computer generated ones don't care, they just send out every possible
combination of letters and/or numbers in hopes of 'fishin' out a valid
email address.

!ooW %-) www.lanug.org
Pres. of LA Newton Users Group!...over $teve's Live Body.
A NewtonAddict on MacAddictYr2003!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html