Re: [NTLK] MP 130 from Shreve Systems

From: G.D.Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 04:57:44 PDT

> Hi Glen,

Hello ...

> I'm emailing you directly since I didn't feel this had to take up
space on
> the messageboard:

Thanks ...! But when I tried to reply, it bounced. So here I go,
annoying the list members .....

> I ordered the same MessagePad 130 at the beginning of August, though
> directly from ShreveSystems rather than through eBay. I am totally
pleased
> with my purchase. Having bought it to investigate the Newton's
> handwriting recognition, I considered it _not_ a waste of $29
> (plus shipping). Much to my surprise and delight, I am using it
> regularly, having gone beyond the original HWR experiment within 24
hours,
> to transferring all of my personal contacts, calendars, etc. into
the MP.

I actually am purchasing this 130 for my ex, as I have upgraded to a
2000, which is in the process of being upgraded to 2100 status.

In the meantime, I have been using a 130 I found in a pawn shop to
take notes on in my Medical Terminology class. The apps I am using
are Paul Guyot's alt.rec and LearnFast. Using alt.rec, I have set up
shortcuts for common terms (for this course, anyway), like "Combining
form:", which was boiled down to "cf-", "Prefix: -" became "pfx-",
etc. Must be working: I have like a 95% average. :o)

So, when the new 130 comes from Shreve, it will go to my ex; the 130 I
have now will go to my youngest niece, in exchange for her eMate --
once J&K Sales completes the upgrade on my 2000.

> I've even put forth the expense to buy a used AC adapter ($30) as
well as a
> 4 MB flash RAM card for just a bit less from J&K Sales. (I don't
want to
> get involved with the ATA cards.)

Good thing ... the current version of Paul's ATA Support doesn't work
on the 1X0 series (a small oversight he promises to fix in a future
version).

That said ... when that new version comes out, I can't recommend it
enough ...! I have one in my eMate, a 16MB card. Alas, the demo
version of ATA Support makes that a 4MB card, but still, that's 4MB I
wouldn't have otherwise! :o)

> I didn't bother with the modem, since it's an old, slow one, and I
never really
> intended to access the internet with the Newton.

I ordered the modem for faxing, mostly. I plan on using the 2100 on
occasion to do e-mail -- once I can convince SimpleMail not to
download and delete everything off the server ...!

The wasy I normally do e-mail is I download to my laptop (an original
Blueberry iBook), but leave the messages on the server. Then once a
month or so, I download everything to my iMac, and delete everything
from the server. Naturally I get rid of the spam before hand with
Mail Siphon, else my ~200 messages would easily top 500. :o\

> It now appears that others are having trouble signing on
> ISPs with the slower speed modem. I did invest in 2 sets of NiMH
batteries
> (4 in a set) and a recharger. That was right after I found out that
I would
> be using the MP regularly.

Yup, my original batteries died, and it never occurred to me to stick
some regular AA batteries in it ...! :o\ But I did, and now I keep
those as backups for when I'm charging the rechargeables.

Now I need to find some software for the Newton that actually provides
correct battery data for these rechargeable (1.2v vice 1.5) batteries;
mine consistently shows as being 90% charged. :o\

> I'd be interested to hear what the MessagePad's condition is when
you get
> it, if you care to share that.

Will do; it's supposed to have been refurbished (I would guess by
Apple, but ....), so it will (hopefully) be in good shape.

> Also, if you access Shreve's website, you'll find they have a
leather
> case (Calise)for the MessagePads (through130 only) for a couple of
bucks.
> It's certainly worth the cost plus shipping. The case about the size
of a
> thick hard bound novel (i.e., in inches, 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 by 2) and
zips shut.

Hmmm, I missed that one ...! I'll see if I can get a couple sent out
here.

> Regarding ShreveSystems, they are not my favorite reseller by a long
shot,
> but these were very good deals. I've dealt with Shreve in the past
for
> Mac parts, and I don't consider them disreputable. I consider most of
> their inventory to be highly overpriced, but when they have a special
> on something, it's usually at a very good discount.

I think I've only dealt with them myself once or twice; been so long,
can't recall what I bought ...! :o) I think I still had my first Mac:
a (then) new Performa 600 -- so that would've been back in the
mid-90s. Hmmm ... wonder what I bought ...? :o\

> Regards,
>
> Len Cole

Thanks for the note; I expect the 130 to show up probably by next
Friday, at the latest. I send you a quick note on its performance
and appearance Soonest.

Ciao!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html