Re: [NTLK] Writing wireless driver for Prism chipset

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 08:38:02 PDT

Aux environs du 16/09/03 à 11:25 -0400, sous le titre "[NTLK] Writing
wireless driver for Prism chipset", Jim Siburt prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>As I posted recently I purchased a wireless card to use with my eMate.
>The card is a Proxim 80211b OEM which sells for new through Tigerdirect
> for $14. Not to bad of a price but the problem is I don't think a
>driver exists for the Newton. It is using a Prism chipset which is one
>of the chipsets listed for Hirochi's driver that might work, but it
>doesn't.
>
>I would be willing to write the driver package or update an existing
>one if someone could nudge me in the right direction. Since these are
>on the market and are fairly inexpensive it would be worth the time for
>future wireless users. If I am really missing something please stop my
>mad rambling. : )

Get GetCardInfo package. I'm just in post-nap state so I'll let you
search it on UNNA or on my website (it's NameServer Newton Bowels
sample code, somewhere at http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/).
Install it. Insert your card. Tap GetCardInfo in your Extensions.
Save the result to the Notes. Look at the product card string.
Delete/Freeze GetCardInfo.

Get Lantern Patch (it's on my website at
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/). Get NTK for Mac (if you
don't have it yet). Get a Mac (if you don't have one yet, I suggest
one of the newest PowerBooks ;). Unstuff the source code of the
patch. There's a package there that enables Linksys WPC11r3 cards.
Open the NTK project. Change the package information in the
Preferences for that project (so it won't interfere with my Linksys
enabler). Look in the source code, you need to change the product
string for my Linksys to the product string for your Proxim card. If
it's longer than 31 characters, just put the first 31 characters and
install the Lantern patch itself. Otherwise, you don't need the
Lantern Patch. Just your enabler.

In other words, Install Newton Devices if you don't have it yet.
Install Hiroshi's driver. Install Lantern Patch (if required).
Install your Proxim Enabler. Insert your card. Enjoy like any other
WiFi card.

OK, I realize it may not be as easy as I would like it to seem to be.
Drop me a line if you have issues. If your card is equiped with a
Prism chipset, it will very likely work with Hiroshi Noguchi's driver.

Does this card do WEP128?

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/