Re: [NTLK] Hotmail on a Newton

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 04:16:07 PDT

>I am wondering if there is a email client (e.g. Eudora, etc) that can
>access Hotmail. I have
>read another message posted like this one: it spoke about fastmail and its
>integration with hotmail, but to use eudora with fastmail, it needs a POP
>connection. To
>get POP...it isn't free. The free fastmail accounts use IMAP but the
>"Simplemail email
>client" is limited on IMAP support. Can anyone solve my problem????

Since you start with Hotmail then ask about others, I assume that you just
are looking for webmail not hotmail specifically (Hotmail would be my last
choice on Earth for webmail, but that's another topic).

See www.eudoramail.com; you used to be able to use their web interface
from Newtscape (there was one table rendering issue but if you were smart
and bookmarked the right URL you could bypass that part) but most
importantly for use from the Newton, they have free POP access too. And
you can check any other provider's POP as well with their check other email
feature (they revamped their pages a while back to they may or may not be
easily used from Newtscape anymore- I'll have to check sometime).

You do have to enable cookies for the web page part now. But no java or
other weirdness, other than heavy table use. And they don't have SMTP
access for free, you'd have to use their web interface or your regular
provider's SMTP.

I have used this place for years; Simplemail been configured to check its
POP account every time I check mail for probably close to 2 years now
(since Simon added the checkbox I requested to enable/disable servers
easily, anyway).

HTH

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html