Re: [NTLK] New virus making rounds

From: pjfraser_at_mac.com
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 09:10:27 PDT

nice timing...there was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday
citing some interesting facts and figures, including...

- although there are on average 3000 or so windows viruses unleashed
each year, the MacOS hasn't seen a single one since the year 2000
- the average cost/company to recover from the effects of each major
virus attack is $82,000
- many companies are actively seeking alternatives to windows, at least
to the extent that they'll diversify their OS usage away from a single
windows standard - so that not all machines/data will be affected by
attacks

(this is from memory, so the exact figures may be a little different)

perhaps the tide is finally turning.

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 08:00 AM, Trevor Birch wrote:

> I'm getting about 30 of these damn things a day.
>
> Luckily I am "fully" protected and the attachments are changed to
> something
> harmless.
>
> Hey gang... most of us are probably smart enough not
> to fall for it, but FYI, there is a new virus out that
> looks like a patch from Microsoft. DO NOT INSTALL. It
> is indeed a virus.
>
> See the pict here. Friend told me about it last night.
> This morning had one in my email.

-- Peter
pjfraser_at_alamedanet.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html