Re: [NTLK] Copying NIE pkgs to Card & new FAQ dad

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 16:45:15 PDT

Aux environs du 20/09/03 à 17:10 -0600, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Copying NIE pkgs to Card & new FAQ dad", Grant Hutchinson prit sa
plus belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>There are two versions of this question it seems. One asks how to get
>packages onto a Newton without a serial connection, and the other
>question related to the solution to the first problem - how to transfer
>packages Newt to Newt (N2N).

I think this problem is called the bootstrapping problem and is very
acute for current new users since unlike the old folks who got
Newtons from Apple, second-hand Newton often don't have the famous
dongle and today's Macs, except the XServe, don't have serial ports.

>Right. We need a question asking how to unprotect a protected package. Or
>a question relating to the error message when attempting to do so. Can
>anyone verify what the actual error message is when you try to copy/move
>a protected package?

The beam option doesn't appear.
If you select several items, the Newton says: "Note -- X icon(s)
was/were skipped because it is/they are copy protected."

>What are some common protected packages as a
>reference point?

Newton Internet Enabler.
NIE Ethernet Module.
ATA Support. Do not beam/backup & restore ATA Support even with
Easter Egg's Unprotect. If you need to get ATA Support on a Newton
you can only access via beaming/card, use the installer (say you
don't want to install ATA Support and then beam/backup & restore the
installer to your other Newton).

Also, please note you can install modified versions of these packages
without the protection. Victor's VB application that removes the flag
can be used on Windows, or one could use a hex editor. I actually
have NIE without the protection and I cannot tell if Newton Devices
is not protected or if I removed its protection.

While you're working on bootstrapping, let's mention two other
solutions that are often mentioned here:

Does work:
- IrDA with an IrDA-capable Mac (were some iMac IrDA capable?) (note
that some PowerBooks are not IrDA capables) running MacOS 9 or lower
with Thomas' DILTester.

Doesn't work:
- Installing packages on a card by inserting it in a laptop.

There might be a way with a modem card that works on the Newton
without any additional software.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/