[NTLK] URGENT: DO NOT BUY THIS (update)

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 13:32:30 PDT

Dear All,

Having had a chance to reflect on this subject and having gotten a terse reply from Ferdi, I wish to make my position as
clear as I can.

I designed the SER-001 some years ago now in response to a need. That need was for a better way of connecting serially
with the MP2x00 series. Now in its' 3rd year, the SER-001 is still a popular item. Perhaps it is in its' Autumn years, I
don't know. But I have decided to make it available for as long as there is a need. (with gaps in service as I
re-evaluate demand).

I have never been against competition, but when I saw Ferdi's webpage I was shocked! There is little to distinguish his
board from mine. Of course, he will tell you that it's not a copy. However, his email to me said that it was a 'home
brew of my design'. So he copied my design onto another board and then calls it his. The board outline is similar if not
the same. The component placement is similar if not the same yada, yada, yada...

I might have been flattered at this point had it not been for the kicker 'home-brew'. Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, he is
making these at home or some such place. Now there is nothing inherently wrong in this if you have thousands of dollars
invested in a workstation but, not even I have that and I doubt he does too. My boards go to a fabricator and have the
components stuffed by machine, and are tested afterwards.

OK, so he is saving some money by doing it himself. How reliable are the solder joints? And are they tested? Are the
joints optically inspected and QC'ed?

There is no mention of Home-brew' on his webpage - but the price is still $60.00!

If you have bought one of these and think it's great then I am happy for you.

In the meantime, more SER-001's are on order and will be available soon.

And in case some of you think this is a bit one-sided, Ferdi is on this forum too and has the right to dispute anything
I have said (evidentially of course).

Regards,

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html