Re: [NTLK] URGENT: DO NOT BUY THIS

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:06:37 PDT

> On the original topic, if the board has been duplicated, that's
> copyright
> violation. If you feel you have a case, hire a lawyer. If you fail to
> protect your copyrights, you give up your copyrights. This is not an
> opinion, this is copyright law.

Actually, it's a *trademark* that has to be aggressively protected,
lest it be lost. You can fail to renew a copyright, and the protection
will eventually expire; but under US law, a copyright cannot be lost
simply because it is infringed. (Which isn't to say that copyright
infringement shouldn't be taken very seriously. And of course,
Trademark Law and Copyright Law protect two very different types of
intellectual property.)

Getting back to the original topic; I agree with the majority opinion
here that this was a fairly shameless (and sadly typical) move by
Ferdi. (I guess now I'm in line for one of his usual angry responses to
criticism.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html