Re: [NTLK] URGENT: DO NOT BUY THIS

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 11:35:22 PDT

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:30:36 -0600
> On the original topic, if the board has been duplicated, that's copyright
> violation. If you feel you have a case, hire a lawyer. If you fail to
> protect your copyrights, you give up your copyrights. This is not an
> opinion, this is copyright law.

Just my 2 cents, as I'm sure everyone will weigh in on this. As one of the
longest-time Newton users on this list, I realized a while ago we have a
dwindling base of users, programmers, spare parts and innovations. When
someone goes to the trouble of creating something like the SER001, one has
to marvel at the ingenuity, and give thanks.

Obviously it is facetious to suggest suing, as any recovery would be dwarfed
by the legal fees. Note: IP, or Intellectual Property law differs vastly
from regular "I painted this myself" copyright law. One has to ask
themselves about the ethics of copying someone's designs for sale as their
own. Note if someone bought an SER001, and had the skills to make a copy to
install in another Newton is a different issue.

What next - change a few lines of code and say I wrote a ATA memory card
driver "inspired" by Paul G.?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html