Re: [NTLK] Refurbished 130's

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 00:16:50 PDT

Glen Warner <gdwarner_at_mindspring.com> (that's me!) wrote:

> "Frank Gruendel" <fg2_at_pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
>>> And if Russ is sold out, check Shreve Systems' site; they're
> selling refurbished 130s for $29
>>
>> What kind of refurbish are they doing with the 130??
>
> Well, that is a good question ...! Unfortunately, it hasn't arrived,
> so I can't really say ... but perhaps a phone call is in order
> tomorrow so I can find out (1) where the #&(!! my order is, and (2)
> "Whaddaya mean "refurbished"?!? :o)
>
> I'll let you know what I find out .....

So, I called today, and spoke to a Sales Droid(tm). I asked him what
was done to the 130s to refurbish them. He said, "Well, we just fix
whatever's wrong."

Not very informative.

He then gave me my tracking number, and hung up.

Tried to track the package via the provided number: "Tracking has not
been purchased for this number." :o\

Tried again, still no joy.

Gave up, got ready for school ... and on the way out, Ms. UPS arrived,
large box in hand. Opened it (tried to resist, but ....). Saw two
Newton keyboards, in an appropriate box. Saw two Newton modems,
wrapped in bubble wrap. Saw one copy of MacOS 7.5 on CD, in an
original box, complete with eWorld signup, CitiBank Apple credit card
offer (I still have one of those!), those old style multi-color Apple
stickers ... and finally, the MP130 itself.

No cover, alas.

Some scuffs on the case, a couple of barely noticeable marks that
appear to be scribbles from an overenthusiastic previous owner, a few
strange holes in the battery cover, no blanks for the PCMCIA slot, and
an OMP stylus, taped to the side. :o\

Anyway ....

Grabbed a few spare AA batteries, loaded them up (no rust in side the
battery compartment, I noticed), turned it on and beamed (on the bus,
on the way to school) a few Essentials (alt.rec, Avi's Backdrop,
Styles+, NewtTest 1.0, etc.) from my 130.

I noticed in the In box a message from eWorld ...! :o) Read it, then
deleted it.

NewtTest says all the batteries are fine. Ran a few other tests, and
everything seems okay (by the way, Frank, what is the backlight test
saying in Morse?).

NewtTest also says an upgrade is avialable; downloaded same and will
install shortly after I finish this e-mail.

This Newt has one thing my 130 didn't have: Pocket Quicken (despite
the big red sticker that says "... includes ... Pocket Quicken ..."

Tried both keyboards after I got back from class. Both work fine.
They even came with a case -- though not as cool as the case that came
with my (still at J&K Sales because of some financial mixup) 2000.

I did notice that the screen feels different when I write on it --
kind of a rough feel -- but the screen appears clean and spotless.
Also, the power switch is much smoother than my 130's.

Well, that's the good news. The bad news is the Sales Droid managed
to tell me that they were now sold out of the 130s.

No time to test the modems; I'm out of batteries anyway ...! :o)

So ... where can one get a cover for a 130?

>> Frank

--gdw

P.S.:

As for the Shreve vs. Russ question, if you have the cash for one of
Russ' 130s, buy it! ... but don't overlook those keyboards.

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html