[NTLK] Fwd: Re: roman numeral conversion

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 08:28:40 PDT

Roman Numerals

I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
L = 50
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000

A bar over a letter multiplies it by 1000, so X-BAR = 10 000.

If a letter is immediately followed by oine of equal or lesser value,
the two values are added; thus XX equals 20, XV = 15, VI = 6.

If a letter is immediately followed by one of greater value, however,
the first is subtracted from the second, thus IV = 4, XL = 40, CM =
900

Numbers from 1 thru 10 are:
I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

In general, no more than 3 of a digit are repeated, ie 4 is IV, not
IIII, although I have seen 4 written both ways. Forty is written as
XL as opposed to XXXX.

== from The Random House dictionary of the English Language (College
Edition) ==

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html