Re: [NTLK] How is the Newton a Mac?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 13:42:39 PST

* Brian Pearce <bpearce_at_cloud9.net> [ 1 Apr 2004 12:13]:
> the company's efforts were being scattered in a number of different
> directions, and the product line had grown large and unwieldy. All
> Steve Jobs did was streamline the operation

So how does Newton, Inc. (spun off from Apple briefly before being
folded back in and killed) fit into this theory? If it was spun off,
then wouldn't it not be part of the Apple product line, not be a drain
on Apple's resources, and therefore not need to be killed as part of a
'streamlining' of Apple?

(That's one thing that has always confused me about the 'streamlining'
argument - it would be an independant company and not a drain on Apple,
wouldn't it?)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project