Re: [NTLK] What I would do if I could afford the rights to the Newton...(was; How is the Newton a Mac?)

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 01:28:31 PST

On 2 Apr 2004, at 00:56, NewtonMP - Paul Curtis wrote:

> I would like to purchase the intellectual and property rights to keep
> our
> green friends.
>
> Most importantly, I want to be able to produce fresh units and service
> parts
> to keep the MP from eventually going extinct from exhausting the
> limited
> supply.

I'd want to remarket the eMate - pretty much as it was when it was
killed, but with extra software - as a $199 computer for kids. Like
those V-Tech things with screens the size of a wristwatch, you know?
More expensive, but considerably more useful. They cost £79 - about
$130 - here and are an utter waste IMO - the small screen cannot be
healthy to use, and they're little more than a toy.

I reckon parents would pay more for something which could actually be
used for real applications and schoolwork, and the eMate's construction
makes it ideal.

I don't think I'm far off on what it would cost. Those crappy WinCE
Brainwhatevers are actually excellent WinCE machines, and cost from
$499.

Richard

--
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)