Re: [NTLK] How is the Newton a Mac?

From: Mike O'Brien (mikeobrien_at_spamcop.net)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 10:42:59 PST

Len Cole asks:

> If Apple didn't develop NewtonOS who did the acquire it from. I know
the HWR
> wasn't in-house, but I wasn't aware that the OS wasn't either.

I didn't see anyone answer this, so here goes.

Newton OS was developed by Apple in-house. Of the two handwriting
recognition systems, the printed recognizer was developed "semi
in-house"
by an Apple employee and two contractors on a team, and the cursive
recognizer was built by ParaGraph International, a spinoff of the Soviet
Academy of Science (I kid you not), who were kept at such arm's length
by Apple that they didn't even know what kind of device they were
developing
a recognizer for. Hence the need to tune it radically for Newton OS
2.0, which
they did...and very successfully, in my book. A version of this
recognizer is,
I think, still on the market.

The printed recognizer team was brought back to make another pass over
it for the tablet recognizer in OS X..."Inkwell", is it called?

Mike O'Brien