Re: [NTLK] Newton Press and Project Gutenberg

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 13:18:32 PDT

* Mike O'Brien <mikeobrien_at_spamcop.net> [ 3 Apr 2004 09:39]:
> I ran into this problem, which is a perfect application for Perl,
> except I don't know Perl.

But I do... I've been thinking of how I might script the conversion from
text file to newtonbook, and from the other newton book thread, it looks
like I'm not alone in this :-)

> I found I had to go cross-system, [...] a quick C program which [...]
> created an ASCII text file that went into Newton Press relatively
> cleanly, though I still had to gen up a table of contents, fix up
> italics and other quotations, etc.
>
> Unfortunately this does not do you a heckuva lot of good on Mac OS
> 7.5. If you have BBEdit you might be able to create a macro that
> would do the same thing.

I did say either system 7.5 *or* linux...

But since I know perl and not C, I think I may try doing that with perl.
The BBEdit suggestion will work fine I'm sure, but I'm an automation nut
:-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project