Re: [NTLK] [PRE-ANN :)] In with the Old, Out Soon with the New

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 11:18:14 PDT

>Now, the new: I am currently working on a new package for the Newt -
>one which, much like VersionTracker for the Mac, will allow you to list
>all the current packages you have on your Newt with their version
>numbers. Then you will be able to connect to a web server (likely
>mine), and check against the latest versions of those packages. And,
>yes, you guessed it, if your version is not up to date, you will be
>able to download the package from the web site.

This sounds very brilliant! I love the "latest patch" check in Frank's
NewtTest, and now this would be a check against any app and tool, not only
OS. Extremely cool.

Concerning the server, please allow me to suggest working with Victor. I
think UNNA would be a great asset - first of all loads of
last-available-releases are already filed there (freeware, shareware and
abandonware alike) and many newly released items are also uploaded there
for good measure, secondly it is a well-established place that probably
every active Newton user knows well, and lastly, it's distributed on a
couple mirrors, so there is no outage of service if one box goes down.
   All these three arguments might improve the experience of your
application as well as of UNNA, but then, you mileage may vary.

>I will let you know
>when I'm far enough along for those interested to have a look. In the
>meantime, I'm pondering names for the package ("WhatsNewt?",
>"NewtUpdate",...).

Hmh... "Whoareyou" - the question the app asks every package? "UpNewt"?
"NewtUp"? "nAppDater"? "Schroedinger's" (because it peeks inside the box to
see if the Newt is still there ;=} )?

>If you have any ideas, throw 'em my way.

Done.

One more idea - maybe would be nice if it could export all packages
installed. Somehow like Backup, but minus the data - you could have
somewhere some webspace and export a list of your setup and the packages to
this, so where ever in the world you are, you could reload the setup
(individual packages/all packages). Maybe you could store several setups
this way and just switch between "personalities" - the full communications
set vs. GPS and all the maps you need vs. gaming vs. productivity vs.
eBooks vs. databases vs. ... - Dunno if it makes any sense to you...

>I've wanted
>to get into programming the Newton for a while, and this package seemed
>like a good way to get in and become a Newtonscript maniac.

Indeed, nice start. - For more ideas, check
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonWishLists - already lots
of brilliant to mad ideas for any enterprising person.

Cheers and good luck with that project!

DJV.