Re: [NTLK] It was a gift. I'm sorry....

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 18:09:45 PDT

Before I had my Newton, I had an HP95LX. I later
upgraded to the 200LX (then the 300LX, then the 320LX)
The 95LX and 200LX were connected to an Ardis packet
radio modem and served as my main email address for
quite a long time. I later upgraded to the AllPoints
card from DTS using Zap-It (this same card was used in
the 300lx, 320lx and my Newton's 120 and 2000)
Heck, I still have the SRAM card for ZAP-it for
CE-1.0.0!
And if you want to talk about typing speed! Ha! I was
fast! The only thing I hated was the serial
port...that flimsy thing needed a dongle adapter just
like the MP2000...and when ever I picked up the 200lx,
the serial port would come unplugged from the packet
radio modem! I was so glad to go to the AllPoints
card!

My first portable device was a Tandy PC-1. Which I
later upgraded (like I did with the Newton) to the
PC-4 and then the PC-2 (yeah, kinda weird numbering).
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=937
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1003http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=967
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=967
I had the upgrade RAM pack for the PC-2, the thermal
printer and the cassette deck (used microcassettes!)
I had this thing for years until someone smashed in my
car window and stole it (this was around 1984). Lucky
for me, I had my HP67 that had the internal card
reader with the external IR printer to fall back on!
From there, I eventually purchased an HP28 calculator
(still have it) that I wrote a PIM for.
From there, I used various clamshell "Boss" like
devices, including a really nice device from
RadioShack that I used for a few years...(I accidently
threw it away at a local McDonalds...it was sitting on
the tray under some napkins!
From there, it was the 90's and most of you know my
history with the various handhelds I played with!

Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Ruschmeyer <jruschme_at_comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Speaking of DOS portables, I'm suprised noone's list
> include the HP LX
> series. I was lucky enough to grab my bosse's old
> 200LX after she left the
> company and I have to say that it is one of the
> nicest palmtops.
>
> I'm on the HPLX-L list and I'm always amazed with
> the similarities to the
> Newton community. Just as devoted a following with
> definate analogues to
> people such as Victor, Dr. Newton, and PCBMAN
> (though no Ferdi that I've
> noticed :-).
>
> <<<john>>>

=====
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."
 - Charles De Gaulle, former French President