Re: [NTLK] [OT] cd VS Vinyl

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 00:24:38 PDT

Don't want to bring back this whole thread (so please don't, there's
been too much OT as it is lately) but there's something I discovered
that should be shared with all audio freaks here.
I posted the info of Plextor and Yamaha in this thread a while back
about jitter but it turns out that this is only a small part in the
loss of audio, the main culprit turn out to be the make of the CD-R.

I know a lot of the technically inclined will probably have a hard time
with this and though I have some ideas what might be causing it I don't
have the definite reason why.

As I wrote before copies could be picked out in blind tests on
reasonable or good stereo sets. (loss of bass and depth in general
resulting in a 'flatter' sounding result)

As we tested some different kinds of CD-R's we found something
astounding, if a copy was copied again to a Lifetec 52x CD-R we
suddenly got rid of almost all of the 'flatness'!
We still don't know what causes the difference but it looks that even
with the jitter mentioned before that most (or all) of the info makes
it onto the CD-R copy but that an audio CD player can't read it all.
(tested on different CD players in different setups)
Our shot in the dark is that it might be the kind of dye used, but
we're not sure of course.

With these CD-R's we also tested the best best way to make a copy (on a
Mac, I don't know anybody with Windows, sorry...) and for us this was
using the extract command in Toast 6 and burn it at 2x speed.
(since I know most burners nowadays can't do 2x: the differences with
the copy command and 4x speed aren't huge and good enough for general
use, but they're there)

Hope this saves some of us some time...

Robert Benschop