Re: [NTLK] Newtendo Status and Towards DCL 1.1 Rocks!

From: Eagan Rackley (eagix_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 10:26:12 PDT

<<Towards DCL 1.1 >>
I just wanted to say that I think this is incredibly friggin cool!!!

I wanted to drop a line and sort of give a status update on Newtendo,
since other people are putting in such cool efforts making utilities to
work with it and all :)

Ok, so mappers 2, and 4 both work now, which makes the library of games
it can play get even larger (there are a couple hundred now, lots of the
main titles, I can even run SMB3 with some glitches).

The things I haven't finished yet are:
Automatically rotating the screen
Supporting the Newtaway Keyboard
Saving SRAM to a soup
Saving a configuration file to a soup.
Mappers 3 & 7
Credits (because a lot of people have helped with the project!)
Website update including some credits

My wife suffers from CFIDS, and is currently having a pretty nasty bout
with it. This leaves me no free time for doing research and improvement
until things get better at home (a full time job, and then taking care
of everything around the house zaps all my energy).

If someone wants to help with the saving to soup options, feel free to
send me some sample code on how I would take a binary object, and save
it to a specific soup. Then I would need info on loading that binary
object from (this would makes games like FF1 / FF2 / Zelda / Zelda 2 a
lot more fun). In fact, if you wanted to write two NS functions
'LoadSoup( soupName, pointerToBinaryObject, length ), and SaveSoup(
soupName, pointerToBinaryObject, length ), then I would drop those right
into my code and implement them. This would save me enough time ot at
least support saving, and the new mappers. I might also squeeze the
screen rotation into there. As long as I've been working on Newtendo, I
still am not as familiar with NS as I would like.

I'm not currently really enthused about releasing my source code for the
proejct (mostly because it's an embarassing mess, and it lokos like one
huge rush job (which it was)). I am however considering taking what I
now know about the NES and the newton and porting UberNES, which
supports a huge number of mappers, and has really beautifully written
source code. Unfortunately, the CPU core is a bit slower than mine is,
and I have to think about it more.

Anyway, take care Newton people :)

-Eagan