Re: [NTLK] Erratic ping over wireless

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 09:52:35 PDT

On Apr 12, 2004, at 7:18 AM, Doug Augustyn wrote:

> WiFi is just a low-bandwidth technology, I'm not saying it's all bad,
> but it's
> lacking the stability and speed to compete with a wired net.

Not true. If you have stability problems they are yours. I have done
many wifi setups, including sharing between sites using directional
antennas etc. These are all stable and fast, even when it rains :~) (I
am in seattle).

802.11b is quite comparable to 10BaseT ethernet in my experience.
802.11g is 3-5 times faster when you're CLOSE to the base. There is
also a new technology that uses three of the 11 channels
simultaneously. See yesterdays slashdot.org for more details.

Marty