Re: [NTLK] eMate 300 thread

From: Woody Smith (woody_at_bitstream.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 20:15:27 PDT

On Monday, April 12, 2004, at 09:12 PM, Mike Burrell wrote:

> on 4/12/04 12:32 AM, Woody Smith at woody_at_bitstream.net wrote:
>

> When I first hit the power button I get the stylus alignment screen.
> When I
> hit power again I get a user window of the previous owner. If I either
> close
> the window or hit enter it goes into the notes window.

Good

>> Open extras with extras key. Expand extras folder with
>> command+shift+t, use arrows to navigate and CR to select.
>
> I can't seem to navigate the icons using the arrow keys and what is
> the CR
> key?

While the extras folder is open you should be able to move from icon to
icon with the four arrow keys on the lower right side of the keyboard.
On the first down key press you will see the top left icon 'highlight'.
  CR is the 'return' key.

> This is good to know. Seems like there would be a whole lot of key
> commands
> on this thing though.

Enough to accomplish what you need for basic use but you will have
problems in selecting some choices in dialog windows that can be done
only with the stylus.

>> It is likely that you lost stylus input because the lid tensioning
>> spring released and severed one or more traces in the display ribbon
>> cable.
>
> The way it moves now is it seems easy to close (but not overly easy)
> and
> stiff opening but it makes no creaking noises or anything.

The problem with the spring pressed against the ribbon will get
progressively worse, even if you don't repair or replace the ribbon you
should repair the spring.
See <http://www.pda-soft.de/body_emate_disassemble.html>

> Got another question here... I bought another emate and it came with an
> apple desktop bus mouse. Will these mice work with an emate?

No, but if this eMate functions with stylus input then repair the
spring ASAP.

Woody