Re: [NTLK] printing from a newton via linux

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 17:32:32 PDT

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 06:42 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:
> Hmmm... I don't want to argue with you, but I can't see how it can be.
> Everything else works fine. The IP on the newt is 192.168.1.3 and the
> IP
> on the linux box is 192.168.1.2 so they *are* on the same subnet. The
> AP
> does nothing but forward packets from one side to the other, as far as
> can tell. Email works, telnet works, ftp works, the only thing that
> doesn't is appletalk. I don't have a wired lan card to test with, but
> my

This is exactly what you would see if appletalk were being blocked at
the WAP.

You see, Appletalk is NOT TCP/IP-based. The "classic appletalk" that
the Newton uses is "ethertalk", as is "netatalk". (I'm not aware of a
freeware AppleshareIP server for Linux, anyone?) This ethertalk
protocol is not TCP/IP-header based, and thus is not necessarily
supported by routers and WAPS. Does your access point support more
than one wireless device talking to it at once? Certainly if yes,
almost certainly otherwise has to specifically support bridging of the
ethertalk packets from wireless to wired sides, else it (ethertalk
connectivity) is just NOT going to happen. They won't get forwarded
automagically the way any TCP/IP based packets will (which is why
AppleshareIP is so nice- it will work anywhere as it conforms to modern
standards).

That's why you will need a older Mac to test this with- if someone
brings up their iBook of tiBook and tries to see your
netatalk/ethertalk printer, it's not going to be a good test- those new
books are using AppleshareIP. You can publish your ethertalk printer
on a AppleshareIP server using printer sharing from a mac, though, with
the right older mac and OS version- but the Newton still won't be able
to talk to it as it doesn't understand the TCP/IP based AppleshareIP
protocol.

HTH.

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only