Re: [NTLK] Memory clarification

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 06:43:34 PDT

Aux environs du 16/04/04 à 6:24 -0700, sous le titre "[NTLK] Memory
clarification", Humphreys, David prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>Heap:
>
>The amount of heap space is set by the OS and the available DRAM. Due to the
>architecture of the Newton, it can only support 4MB of DRAM. That's it.
>Period. There is no practical way to increase this without a complete system
>overhaul (read: design another Newton!).

I'm not completely sure.
I think we may put DRAM or SRAM on the ROM Board using the R/W line
and with a REX declare this additional RAM as available to the OS
with a RAM config table (id 'ram '). I don't think there is any
reason why the RAM accesses should happen through the Voyager except
for DMA with PCMCIA cards.

That's where a programmable ROM Board could be very handy :)

But globally, that's true, unlike the design of a ROM Board with 8
additional MB of flash, there is no documentation of this, just like
there is no documentation of the mysterious Watson package flag.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/