Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:28:30 PDT

On Apr 16, 2004, at 11:47 AM, David Ensteness wrote:

> Lastly, getting back to your final point about getting famous and
> impacting users. Hitting UNIX based systems is so terribly hard than
> hitting Windows based systems is far more practical.

Actually this is not really true...

unfortunately many recent Windows worm attacks are what we refer to as
social engineering attacks.

This means they rely on the stupid user to execute something nasty.

Unix users using OSX are just as stupid (flamebait?) as windows users
in general, and could easily be tricked into opening executables that
do nasty things of all sorts.

So while UNIX has a reputation (deservedly) as being pretty secure, the
users remain the weak link...

Marty