Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: newton_at_the-monkey.net
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 00:29:36 PDT

> He was also quoted as saying that of the three predominant
> micro OS's being used, (Windows, *nix and Mac "classic" OS)
> Mac's classic OS was the most difficult to extract deleted
> files from and gave FBI agents the most fits. And as far as
> getting info from encrypted files on an Apple, forget it.

I don't believe that there would be any difference between PGP (or
whatever) from one platform to another. Sounds like garbage.

Perhaps the problem is due to their tech people having a lot more
experience with the more common Windows based machines, perhaps more
tools are available for this work.

> He also said that getting files from the Windows file systems
> was like reading an open book.

Was he saying this was a good thing or a bad thing?

My partner's little brother deleted a bunch of files off his father's
old Windows based PC, it was very simple for us to recover all of those
files using a small undelete program. This was a very good thing.

If you want to remove files for some security reason, there are many
many utilities available for just this purpose -- In fact, we used one
of these utilities on a bunch of machines once when they were being
auctioned off (contained very sensitive files from a recruitment
agency).

Regards,
       Morgan

--
Morgan Nichol     -     morgan_at_quirk.co.nz
09 6200 548       -     021 159 0736