Re: [NTLK] [OT] Market Share

From: Eric Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 15:00:46 PDT

On Sunday, April 18, 2004, at 04:37 PM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> No one I know who uses Windows also uses QT, most don't even know what
> it
> is. One that does thought it was a virus that was preventing his
> machine
> from booting. (Must do the QA a bit better there...)
>
> QT might hitch a ride on another service or product but no Windows
> user is
> going to deliberately use QT instead of other, native media systems are
> they?

Since the number of QT downloads is in on the order of 3-4x the total
Mac installed base, there are a substantial number of Windows users out
there that *do* have QT installed. In fact, given that WMP and MS's
made-up non-standard formats seem to keep changing almost monthly, WMP
is what I hear most folks complaining about. Where I work I'm always
hearing folks that are getting videos and not being able to play them
on their Windows machines. Often they end up having to get IT to
convert them to QT so they're in a more usable format. And Real isn't
much better in this department. QT, on the other hand, just seems to
work. Most Windows machines that can't get QT to work probably had
something wrong already (not surprising, given the astronomical number
of patches).

> Can you give me a substantive non-Mac example of the use of QT?

QT is a cross-platform media format that serves as the basis of an
adopted standard (MPEG4). You're phrasing your question as if QT is an
application, so I don't think I understand what you're driving at.

- Eric.

*I'd* rather wear fur than go naked!