Re: [NTLK] Connection (ethernet) difficutlies

From: mmedina_at_selena.com.fr
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 00:02:17 PDT

Hi David,

Things are not that plug&play with the Newton...
Go there and look at the end of the page (Ethernet Cards):
http://dettmer.maclab.org/newton/150.html

Basically, you need to install several drivers.
You also need to check these:
On the Mac
1-Appletalk through Ethernet
2-NCU Prefs: "Listen on... Appletalk"
On the Newton
3-"Use Card for Appletalk" checked via the "Card" application
4-At the "Dock" window: "Connect via Appletalk", plus the network name of
your Mac selected.

It is possible your card won't work because it is dead... Mine is a 3Com
MehaHertz 589E, and the drivers found at that site offer the 589D, so it
should work.

Oh yes, you need to install those drivers in the internal memory...

>First of all, I'm a new MessagePad user, so take pity and have patience.
>I recently bought a MessagePad 2100, with numreous extras. One of these
>is a 3Com Megahertz 10 Mbps LAN PC Card (3CXE589DT).

HGood luck!
Michel