Re: [NTLK] [OT] Market Share

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 04:10:48 PDT

On 19 Apr 2004, at 11:58, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> So all I can say is that in the last 5 years of visting customers and
> other
> businesses in the UK, I see no Macs and no QT. A printer I went to
> recently
> to have a large drawing reproduced was startled to hear I was using a
> Mac -
> "You're still not using those things are you mate? I got rid of them
> years
> ago..."

It's no co-incidence that 1994-1998 saw some of the worst Macs,
competitively speaking, ever produced. Crap like the Performa 5200, the
baffling Performa/Centris/Quadra divisions. Plus the least innovative
era of MacOS development (and least stable versions). Even I allowed a
PC to take over in 1998, replacing my (not terribly bad) 5400/200
because I was sick of it crashing.

The G5 has tempted me right back, though an early foot in the door came
in the shape of a 2001 Graphite iMac SE, and for music a Quicksilver G4
made itself welcome. Now I use my G5 for almost everything, and am
right back to being the old Apple evangelist I used to be. It's partly
this that made me want to spend money on a Newton, though I'd always
regretting selling my MP120.

QuickTime was one of the few things Apple did license successfully,
though. I have it on my PC, and it works.

Richard

--
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)