Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 16:33:35 PDT

On Apr 19, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> NewtonMP - Paul Curtis wrote:
>
>> Well, the DEC Alpha still owns that title.
>
> I miss my Alpha. The original UNNA server was a DEC 3000 workstation
> with a
> 125MHz 21064 Alpha running NetBSD. And various external SCSI disks
> grinding
> away in my dorm room. Ahh, those were the days...

Toastie !

We ended up with a room full of Alpha Servers (mostly 400 Mhz CPU's)
and hardware RAID's in the engineering group I worked in way back.
Damn reliable and they kicked Sun boxes butt's in pretty much
everything.
They were unmatched in the SCADA market despite "everyone abandoning
them because DEC was having so much trouble"
When Compaq bought them we figured they'd be stable as they were the
best servers Compaq had.
The HP bought .... well .... the rest is ancient history now

But, a lot of the CPU design team from the Alpha went to AMD and you
see where they AMD's are now.
They outperform but don't require the higher clock rates