Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: NewtonMP - Paul Curtis (paul.curtis_at_newtonmp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 21:44:16 PDT

Mine is in Tucson, AZ grinding away as a mail server and taking content
sources and dynamically generating a massive website,
consolidating/formatting/placing ad space in real-time. I've been leasing it
out since 1995.

I have 15 x 9.1 Barracuda's (10k) in a raid 5 config, with 5 sitting in
reserve waiting for a failure. I haven't had a drive go down yet. 4 gig of
ram and the cache is maxed. In fact, when I bought the Barracuda's to
replace the original raid drives, I installed a second raid card and copied
some 5 gig over. The whole operation with the crc check took all of maybe 15
seconds.

I'll try to get some hard numbers on throughput. I do know that it crunches
a 30 gig dynamic website in under 3 minutes, while it serves e-mail to over
5,000 accounts. It truly is a phenomenal piece of hardware, both in times of
speed and uptime.

Finally, these boxes were targeted to the high-end desktop market just
before DEC imploded. I paid $15k for my box which was equipped with the ram,
the cache, MB with the 533mhz Alpha and the dual NIC's. Another $10k and I
had the rest. But you could easily configure one for $7k with raid and I
mean SCSI-UW none of that ide crap.

I'll still put my Alpha up against anything that IBM/Intel/AMD has to offer
today in the high-end desktop market. My pride might be a little bit
overzealous.

Regards,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v1.3/MP 120 v2.0/MP 130/MP 2100/MP 2100/MP 2100
www.NewtonMP.com (coming soon)
Go Green! Go White! Michigan State Spartans