Re: [NTLK] [OT] Quicktime (now odd computers)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 08:33:47 PDT

If memory serves, there was a patch/system extension (MODE32 I think)
that would enable a non-32 bit clean system to run a 32 bit system.

It was only for certain models. I believe these: II, IIx, IIcx and
SE/30.

You had to be running System 7. System 6 was not supported.

Generally, applications were not 32-bit clean because they directly
manipulated the flag bits in the master pointers directly. These flag
bits, for example, might mark the memory as locked or purgeable,
relocatable or non-relocatable.

The Apple programming guidelines specifically stated that programmers
should use system calls (Memory Manager routines) to set these flags bits.

However, some (many?) programmers who ignored this guidance and
manipulated the flag bits directly by changing bits 25-32. Those who did
this were hosed when the new 32 bit OS came out. Those who followed the
Apple guidelines were in tall cotton (there were no memory addressing
errors with their applications).

On a funny note. Who was the worst violater of Apple's rules? None
other than Apple themselves.

Sushi