Re: [NTLK] [OT] SETI WU

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 11:17:37 PDT

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:34:52AM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2004, at 8:02 AM, Sushi wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > The longest that I've had, was a 7200/120. It took around 168-172
> > hours
> > for one WU.
> Wow that's slow. Slower then I would have guessed by far. I wonder if
> something else was hogging CPU (OS? OS9?).

The graphics drawing is. running the command-line client instead of the
screensaver version on any platform I've tried churn out work in about
20%-35% of the time.

[...]
> > I have a PII/333 that is taking around 120 hours per WU.
> Sheesh, I did notice that some PC's especially the Celerons are
> extremely slow.

Older Celerons have no or ineffective caches.

--
100. Finally, to keep my subjects permanently locked in a mindless trance, I
     will provide each of them with free unlimited Internet access.