Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 11:54:55 PDT

On 20 Apr 2004, at 17:37, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> For one single unit, sure. Noting that you got 82 done in March makes
> it
> a quite good test.

True. I removed SETI a while back, so I can't just crank it up and see
what it's up to. I may reinstall it.

> "Running as a screen saver" means it's got all the pretty
> graphics-drawing sucking up 65% of the cycles spent on it.

Ah, like on both my machines. I remember running the saver because it
was quite telling, watching the different speeds of the machines in
graphic form.

> Different chips, different caching schemes, and I bet the load of other
> stuff running wasn't the same either.

Both Macs were clean Panther setups, but it wasn't a 'test', just a
vague comparison.

> So don't grump about Sushi's methodology until you're interested enough
> to test better.

Meh, I wasn't grumping about methodology, I was just pointing out that
WUs are quite a variable measure of performance - my fast results on
the G5 could just have been very simple units.

IIRC the actual ratio was the G5 completing 4 units in the same time as
the G4 completing 1. Logging on to SETI gives me an average of 5 hours
per work unit, which is the G5 I'm sure, but it appears to record
double the CPU time for dual processors, without seemingly using both
CPUs. I'm not sure exactly how to use SETI as anything other than a
guideline :)

Richard

--
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)