Re: [NTLK] Water and newtons

From: Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes (marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:20:24 PDT

> Hey Joel,
>
> DON'T PANIC!
>
> Here is what I would do:

<snip>

These instructions will do it. The most important aspect to have
in mind is do _not_ turn on the device before cleaning.

> The alcohol, being hygroscopic, will grab any water underneath the
> components. The hair dryer will speed up the evaporation and any trace
> elements that were in the water will, by and large, be in the dish.

Yep. If available, a cleaning bath with demineralized water would help
to remove and limit the damage from minerals present in drinkable water.
Do not use standard "distilled" water you can't trust. It can cause even
more damage. That's when isopropyl alcohol comes... But I wouldn't use
a haird dryer for three reasons:

 - the alcohol, being alcohol, is flammable. Bad thing to use an electric
   heat source near, IMO.

 - if a person isn't careful enough, additional heat can damage components.

 - anyway, it gonna evaporate in a couple minutes...

> Really, spilling water on the Newton is not that big of a deal. A pain,
> yes, but not as devastating as molasses or maple syrup etc. etc.

Agreed. Something like coca-cola can do much more devastation...

> If you saw how commercial PCB assemblies are cleaned prior to
> installation you wouldn't worry about a bit of water.

Hey, but they use a highly demineralized water to clean the boards.
The kind that passes through a reverse osmosis filter 3 or 4 times
before becoming ready to use.