Re: [NTLK] Max DRAM (Heap) memory on 2000/2100

From: Tyler Smith (spam_at_fenestrated.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 21:42:10 PDT

>Does any one know what the Max DRam size the Newton 2000 and 2100 systems
>can recognize? I know the 2000 comes with 1Meg and the 2100 comes with 4MB,
>But has anyone ever tried to solder larger DRams in place of these and see
> if the Newton will recognize and make use of the larger heap area?
>
>Thanks
>
>Chuck E.

The maximum DRAM addressable by the Cirrus Logic "Voyager" chipset
the MP2k is based upon is 4MB. There's talk about operating system
hacks that might possibly allow more RAM to be installed in a way
that would bypass this limitation, but it's all just a twinkle in
newton hackers' eyes at this point.

Tyler S.