Re: [NTLK] Star Trek inspiring Palms, etc...

From: Mike Burrell (mburrell_at_stny.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 06:37:00 PDT

Dang, a couple more paragraphs in this article and it might have qualified
as a novel!

I rather fancy the Star Wars concept of second-hand technology.

And they can spend hours staring at a big wall-mounted plasma
> or liquid- crystal display TV watching reruns of "Star Trek." That is,
> if they can afford one.

I saw a 'high tech' looking commercial for Phillips (or some such company)
where they portray hip modern day lookin' preppies with all their silver
coated electronic gizmos (flat screens, cel phones and dv cameras) and I
can't help but think of the day when all the standard tv's are long gone and
Fred Sanfords shop is full of old plasma's.

> Similarly, today's cell phones -- many with the flip-up cover -- do
> more than just transmit voice signals. Newer models have global
> positioning system satellite technology to let emergency workers lock
> on to a caller's location. And some include GPS maps, helping owners to
> navigate unfamiliar streets.

Sounds good but lets see how well those phones do on planets like City Alpha
5.

> Remember in those days, Japanese people were portrayed on TV as
> buck-toothed clowns with thick glasses. But on Star Trek, there were
> Asian and African American bridge officers, and starships with Japanese
> names.

Not to mention a Russian, a Scottish Scotty and a Vulcan!