Re: [NTLK] connecting to a PC with NCU

From: Aynthem (aynthem_at_softhome.net)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 07:40:01 PDT

On 23 Apr 2004 at 10:56, CloddT_at_chelmsford-college.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
> I've recently purchased a second hand Message Pad; (it's a 2000, upgraded to
> a 2100). Generally, I'm very impressed with it. However, I'm having real
> problems getting it to connect to my PC, which is a Windows 95 laptop.
>
> I've installed NCU on the laptop, I've purchased a cable, (the type that
> doesn't need the extra "dongle", i.e. it's in one piece), and I've set the
> connection method, (serial), and the connection speed, (as low as possible),
> on both the laptop and the MP to be the same. I've even installed
> slowdown.exe on the laptop.
>
> To connect, I've opened "Dock" on my MP and pressed "connect". All I get is
> a message on the MP telling me that no connection has been made because
> there was no response.

Hmm. Everything sounds correct from here.

This may sound silly, but is your serial port correctly configured in
BIOS? When I loaded up NCU on my Win 98 box a few months ago, after
not using it for a couple of years, I couldn't figure out why I
wasn't connecting...until I realized I had never turned the serial
port in BIOS! I didn't need it for anything else when I set up the
system!

Come to think on it, the same thing happened to me in 1997, as well.

The other reason I've experienced for difficulty connecting is an IRQ
conflict with another device. In that case, you just have to play
around in the device manager until you find a setting that works.
(Remember to always write down your original values first so you can

I too have a dongleless cable which I find works very well. I
actually have enough different Newtons around that I use a serial
switchbox with both the dongleless and the regular round cable hooked
up so I don't have to fiddle with the back of the machine depending
on whether I'm using my 1x Newts or my 2000/eMates.

So far, everything is working just peachy keen. No need for that
wireless alternative hookup here!

PS: When you do get the serial connection working (I'm an optimist!),
you may have to run multiple instances of slowdown.exe to complete a
transfer, simply because the processor speeds are so much faster
today than in the 1990's. I find that the larger the package size
being transferred, the more slowdowns you need to run. I've had as
many as seven slowdown windows open while loading Merlin!

Good luck and enjoy your Newton!

Melody