Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Macintosh, 3rd Parties, and Market Share

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 00:05:51 PDT

David,

> So is it innovation to release FireWire to the public on Macs in 1999?
> Or since it was standardized in 1995 should they have not included it
> because it was too old to be innovated, even though no one had used it
> on a computer yet?

I'm trying to spare your blushes here because if your best example of
innovation on a platform is a comms port then it's getting scary.

The innovation was in realising the need for better connectivity and
creating FireWire which, in every possible way is superior to USB, but may
wither because USB is so ubiquitous. Damnable market share again. Peripheral
manufacturers have a very easy choice now that USB 2.0 High Speed is "good
enough" - 1 fast port for all users - simple.

When and if it's introduced is not a matter of innovation but the
availability of the HW, agreements with peripheral manufacturers, licensing
etc.

---
This is just small beer - lets turn this conversation around and see what
would make Mac OS a no-brainer choice for everything from our Mums to the
most hard-bitten pro.
Some of the big issues are complexity, data security and interface, none of
which Mac OS X makes any attempt to redress or has any ideas about.
I'd start by importing some values from the Newt:
1/. Keep it simple. Too much choice is bad for mental health so hide a lot
of the complexity with more intelligent code and better UI design. There is
all this compute performance but little of it is being used to make good
guesses about what I want. Don't have the computer whine at me for constant
reassurance or confirmation - just get on with it.
2/. Dump the file system. This archaic piece of rubbish should give way to a
soup-like database system. MS are going probably to do it anyway and make us
look stupid, so get in there and do it properly. The full monty with
roll-back, field-level locking - the works. Guarantee that users will not
lose hours of work and hearts and minds will be captured.
3/. Get the UI right. The interface should scale to handle newcomers and
pros. Allow customisation in the OS so the user has control over the
environment. Make the Finder spatial again. Be consistent. Don't hide
functionality behind glitzy or invisible controls. Seriously improve
responsiveness. Don't ignore established good practice in UI design.
Actually design the software before building it. Hire the right people and
do the R&D to move things forward. Stop tinkering and start innovating.
4/. Stop using metal for laptops. This has to be the dumbest materials
choice in the history of the company. Switch to carbon fibre composites as
soon as the process is cheap enough for stiffer, lighter and more durable
machines. WiFi might actually work properly and users would not feel like
they were being electrocuted/frozen/cooked.
And this is just for starters.
What would you add?
Joel.