Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton

From: Michael Schaefer (mpschaefer_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 04:43:03 PDT

>From: Jeffrey McMurtrie <jeffrey.mcmurtrie_at_rogers.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton
>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:58:09 -0400
>
>The copyright is expired as Tony noted (at least here in Canada and the
>USA.)  You can find the text of 1984 all over the web.
>
>-Jeffrey McMurtrie

This is different to my understanding of the copyright laws which was that
it was 50 years from the last print date not the first print date.

Recently the estate of Capt. W.E. Johns the author of Biggles began having
the small number of his 121+ books close to this expiry date reprinted to
give them a futhar 50 years. Now, considering many of these books were from
the 1920's which by your understanding makes them in the public domain, why
would the estate even bother to spend the money considering the poor sales
which these reprints achieved? There are also other examples such as the
sudden reprints of the Enid Blyton Famous Five and Secret Seven now closing
in on around 40 years since last print and well over 50 years since they
were first printed.

Michael

Personalise your phone with chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp