[NTLK] Test, fail, test, fail... - makes me dizzy! But sweet sucess at last (kinda)! (wasRe: Help! Serial connection PC to Newton suddenly dead...)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 12:24:17 PDT

>4.
>>And finally try removing the serial port entirely from the device manager.
>>Then reboot, it will reinstall and pull another copy of the serial port
>>drivers from the driver database. The working copy might have got corrupted
>>somehow. If you do remove the serial port, make sure you go in and set your
>>FIFO buffers to the lowest setting. Although it should connect at the
>>higher settings, at least mine always did. I just find the connection is
>>much more stable at the lowerst settings.
>
>Aye, Capt'n Dan! I'm off to delete...

So I threw that COM2 o'er board, rebooted and watched the device reinstall,
set bits/sec from 9600 to 115200 (like before) and set FIFO to lowest
(didn't switch it off, though).

Check... One observation made at previous attempts: When I start NBU,
reboot or install the COM2 device again, the Newton wakes up - so it *does*
see something!

Anyhow, first post-OP check no gain. Hmh... And if I twiddle the serial
speed on the Newton? So lemme switch from Ser57600 to plain Serial and
see... Immediate Success! I'll be... What gives!

So, back to registry and looky 'ere, it's all set to 38400! Totally insane!
What 'appened, eh?
Quick change back, since we're already here - that 57600 *does* look much
better!

Can it be possible that maybe a registry setting that's been tweaked from
the original 38400 to 57600 got lost between the last successful attempt
and the first failure? Like some dark force thing?

DJV.

P.S.: Oi, Dan - thanks again!