[NTLK] AW: Making a rechargeable battery pack from a standard?

From: Isaac (Newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 08:40:45 PDT

> http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newto
> n-lifestyle.de%2Fbeitraege%2Fnewton%2Fakku2k%2F&langpair=de%7C
> en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
>
> This page have pretty good drawings, photos and instructions.

> http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/battery.htm

Both sites are good and describe well the battery tray modifications. I
found that the charging of alkalines can be disabled by a small switch
across the thermistor. In on position the thermistor resistance is zero and
the charging electronics is believing the accu has a temperature of 64 deg
C, which is of course impossible and letting the charger wait until
temperatures of less than about 45 deg C (which will never happan :-).

My modification process is similar to the one, described by Nick Mueller
(first link) but I use a double sided PCB to hold the thermistor, the DIP
switch and providing the contact pads. IŽve ordered a post card sized PCB
with about 20 boards as well as 5 thermistors and would be ready to modify
battery trays for about 44 USD or EUR (PayPal) within about 2 weeks
excluding shipping time and fees. This will probably only be possible until
end of this year, because IŽll have to move and downsize my workshop :-(

Marco