Re: [NTLK] Why not maximize your Newton experience? {re: using earlier models}

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 07:11:46 PDT

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 09:23, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> Hello Everybody:
> Occasionally, I read postings from people who are still using the earliest
> versions of the Newton (100, 120, 130). My question is WHY these folks have not
> stepped up to using the MP 2X00 models? I would tend to think that the
> reduced functionality of earlier Newts would just be too frustrating to deal with.
> Plus, it's not like they're very expensive to acquire. Money is tight for
> me, yet I have been able to get a few MPs for friends and family members. Break
> down and upgrade, you cheapskates! :Oo

A guy down the road from me drive - in the summer - a 1936 Rolls Royce.
Another guy I used to work with had a 1951 MG.

There are not cheap cars; you can't get parts for them, they don't have
the functionality of, for example, my current Buick Park Avenue and, to
judge by what these guys tell me, are an endless source of frustration.
Said people have had to learn many skills and buy various workshop
equipment and tools to make the parts to keep them running. They have
to go to special trouble to get them certified as road-worthy.

You think these too are cheapskates or recidivists?
I don't. I think they enjoy all this.

OBTW: I have a 2100 with various accouterments.

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>