Re: [NTLK] swapping between ethernet and wavelan

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 12:01:37 PDT

* James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com> [ 9 Aug 2004 05:59]:

> On Aug 8, 2004, at 11:26 PM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
>
> > * Dan Fackler <eulenspgl_at_sbcglobal.net> [ 8 Aug 2004 17:33]:
> > Now to convince the old mac it wants to boot again (dodgy
> > hardware, I think... it randomly claims that it can't find the system
> > disk, but other times it can...)
>
> Seriously - try replacing the pram battery. After this long it is
> likely dead, and I've seen this behavior caused by said dead batteries
> before.

Oh, I'm quite certain the battery is dead. Every time I hit the switch
at the back, I have to re-set the date, memory settings, appletalk
settings, and reboot.

Based on a bit of careful listening to the hardware during the boot
sequence, the hard drive sometimes doesn't spin up. Now whether that's
caused by a dead battery or not I don't know... but it has told me to
not let it sit idle but on for so long that the hard drive spins down
and goes to sleep, because that seems to be consistently part of the
lead-up to the unsuccessful boots :-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project