Re: [NTLK] Meetup.com [slightly OT]

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 12:34:30 PDT

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:17:03PM -0700, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> * Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl> [ 9 Aug 2004 09:41]:
> > I have seen people asking the mailing list if anyone lives in this city
> > or that to organize a meeting, well a little while ago, I discovered
> > http://www.meetup.com/
> > <snip>
> > The next International Newton Meetup Day is on Tuesday, August
> > 17 @ 8:00PM. To see the most up-to-date information on where
> > your locally organized Meetup will happen, visit:
> > http://newton.meetup.com
>
> Meh... as far as I've been able to tell without signing in, the program
> picks a nearby upcoming date out of thin air every month and calls it
> the "International <group> Meetup Day", then picks some locations out of

The same day every month. EG: third Tuesday of the month.

> thin air and calls them the suggested locations for people to vote on,
> presenting them as if people had suggested them, and listing the total

people HAVE suggested them, just that the starting set is pulled from a
pool of locations based on locale for ALL the various meetups. And,
signed-in users can alter the list of locations presented for voting.

> number of people signed up worldwide as voting on those locations in
> that particular city... all when there is nobody actually signed up in
> the city you've chosen to view.

Other meetups in whatever city it has DO have signed-up members, and the
listings for the newt meetup pull from the same pool of locations. The
groups that picked the pool of locations may simply have been Chihuahua
owners, or quilting enthusiasts, or Insane Clown Posse fans.

--
"The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the
 sleeping world."