Re: [NTLK] Newton Book Size

From: b a silver (basilver_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 12:31:51 PDT

As I understand it, no, unless you make the book package yourself. The package needs to be saved as a multi-format book. If you are making the package yourself, you need to edit the .f file (output) file of Bookmaker before you package it using Newton Toolkit.

I'm quoting from a tutorial that I culled from the web, but can't remember where, written by dan_at_dbdigitaleweb.com:

-----------------

Multi-Format Newton Books
I bet some of you are wondering what are Multi-Format Newton Books? Well Multi-Format books are books that will display on different screen sizes and use the entire screen. While Press can make a "Universal" format it is just smaller size so that it can fit on all Newton screens, it does not actually change sizes for different screens. While Multi-Format can. To change sizes you simply select the "i" then preferences while reading a Newton Book. And recently I discovered how to create these multi-format Newton Books, which had always been assumed possible but never proven (since Apple left out a setting for differnt screen sizes in the Newton Bookreader)..
Multi-Format does add some space to the final package (about 100k per additional format), but it is still a lot smaller than having several copies of the same book. You can only create Multi-Format books with Bookmaker, but perhaps someone more talented than I can figure out how to hack Press so it can as well.
It is very simple to create a Multi-format book. First you create a bookmaker processed file as you would normally, but you alter this output file (which is plain text file with a .f extension) before you send it to the Newton Toolkit. You open the file in a word processor and look for the line
// Pages
pageList := {pageSize: {left: 0, top: 0, right: 240, bottom: 318},
        contents: [], pages: []};
and then you copy from that line to the end of the document so that all the //pages1 //pages2 //pages3 etc, commands are included and you paste a copy to the end of the document. One copy for each extra format. Now you just alter the size to the screen size you want (you only need to change the 240 and 318), save the file, create a project in Toolkit (with a unique package name, compression on, all debugging settings off), add the bookmaker processed file to the project, build a package, and install on your Newton are set. The various screen sizes are as follows:
Newton Model Screen Sizes
Classic-right: 240, bottom: 302
MP2000-Portrate-right: 298, bottom: 388
MP2000-Landscape-right: 414, bottom: 276
Emate-Portrate-right: 302, bottom: 436
Emate-Landscape-right: 464, bottom: 282