[NTLK] Introductions and Cigarette Modems

From: Steele Campbell (the.vampire_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 07:00:59 PDT

Hi List!

Ah! It feels good to be back on the list. I started here in 2000 and
was around until about 2002 during which time I owned a 110, a 120, a
2000 and just recently I purchased an eMate (unfortunately the Newts
are no longer with me) on line to get back into the hobby (after
taking a sabatical and toying with Windows Mobile and Palm OS - both
of which were rather lacking for what I was looking for). I had been
lustin^H^H^H^H^Hooking for an eMate since 1997 but alas, only now have
I been able to get my hands on one. Given that I still routinely use
an LC III, old technology is nothing new to me :D

Anyway, with ths newest addition to my life, I have a couple of brief
list requests that I am hoping someone might be able to fulfill
(since, amazingly eBay hasn't been able to do so....).

First of all, since the PC card slot will be used almost exclusively
for small ATA cards (>64MB), I am going to need a proper modem. Now to
my knowledge of the eMate and Newtons in general, the only external
and compatible modem is the black cigarette box modem that was widely
distributed with the H1000/110 (if I am mistaken, please advise). I
realize it is only 9.6kbps however I intend to use this exclusively
for e-mailing or at the most masochistic level, Courier/Telnet for
text only academic web sites/systems. Would anyone know where I might
acquire one of these (preferably with the adapter) for a relatively
reasonable price? I can't imagine they have much use to those who have
moved to the big boys ;)

On the note of accessories, this eMate does not include a stylus
(though the battery works and the charger is included). I am looking
for an *original* eMate (in otherwords, the green/metal one) Stylus or
an *original* all metal one (consider it for psoterity's sake). Anyone
have one would fit the bill?

Finally, in the same vein, would anyone have a standard 5v/5v Linear
Flash PCMCIA card (2MB/4MB) that they could load a few packages for me
(namely Paul Guyot's ATA, NIE, SimpleMail, NetHopper and Courier)? I
am hoping someone out there might have an extra one kicking around
that they could spare for some extra cash.

Anyway, as always, have a great day!

Would an