Re: [NTLK] Introductions and Cigarette Modems

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 18:24:55 PDT

> 9.6 kbps are for faxing. The rest is 1200 baud. For this modem you
> wouldn't necessarily need an adapter since it'll run fine from a
> single AA size cell.
>
> Frank

Acually it is two AA cells. :) I always thought this was a handy little
modem. Granted not the fastest but unless you are downloading packages
or a ton of mail, still quite serviceable. And since it does not draw
on your Newts batteries, lasts longer (modems eat batteries for
breakfast, lunch AND dinner!). And if you run out of juice in your
modem you can still use your Newt. Granted using another newer external
modem is better if you can plug it in. But for sheer portabity, the
black "cigarette" modem is hard to beat.

-Dan