Re: [NTLK] Euro filing reveals Apple 'handheld computer'

From: RossO (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 10:23:00 PDT

On Aug 13, 2004, at 9:12 AM, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:01:53PM +0200, Jon Glass wrote:
>> You know, just a few short weeks ago, Steve admitted that they had
>> developed a PDA-type device, but had decided to not finish it, or
>> bring
>> it to market, because the market to support it just doesn't exist.
>
> Even if it's nixed, since it got far enough to start leaking, it makes
> sense to file the design trademark. If nothing else, it takes ownership
> of the design enough to prevent someone from making something else out
> of the information leaked.

Would someone please find where sj says that they worked on a pda? As I
recall, the quote was more along the lines of "Apple has not pursued a
pda" which is far cry from working on one and killing it. I can't find
the article and would like to see the exact wording he used.

> The thing I keep being amused by is the edge-on sketch looks like it's
> got a Newton Interconnect Port on it. There's an idea that's worth
> bringing back....

You're kidding right? the flimsy ICP is a dead-end. I was giving this
some thought the other day and I think the perfect 'new' interconnect
port would be... the controversial ADC (Apple Display Connector). Think
of it: power, video, usb and potentially firewire. On a single cable.
If they would just publish a damn spec and let it out there, it would
be a great step forward.

...Ross...

--
Newton Owner since 1999: MP2000, Wi-Fi, OS X syncing, Avi's Backdrop,
MMC/SD-based storage via ATAdapter, occasional Web server.