Re: [NTLK] Some wise words (maybe)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 15:57:03 PDT

I used to run GEM's GEOS system on my original XT
system. The only problem was that it wouldn't
recognize more than 340k of RAM...Windows 1.0 could,
but Windows would only recognize two hard drives (I
had 2 RLLs and one MFM drive partitioned into to 10mb
drives)
And when Pagemaker came out supporting Windows, all
choices were clear! I've been upgrading ever since.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Tony Kan <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz> wrote:

> There is another graphical environment that also sat
> on top of DOS called
> Geos. The environment had a full "Office" suite of
> programs. It still
> survives as a commercial product with the addition
> of a web browser and
> email clients.
>
> Still very light on its feet and I'm impressed that
> it is still going.
>
> [snip]
>
> It was very revolutionary, and it still exists
> today!
> http://www.elixir.com/
>
> These products could all run on an original 640K
> IBM PC/AT system,
> driving 120 DPI monitors from Sigma Designs. They
> were built with the
> GEM (Graphical Environment Manager) from Digital
> Research (creator of
> CP/M) and ran as a full graphical OS application
> shell on top of good
> old DOS.

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin