Re: [NTLK] eMail with 3CXE589ET card

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 06:30:45 PDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:
> I have a new 3Com 3CXE589ET card that I want to connect to
> my DrayTek Ethernet/WLAN router through a cable to access
> my mail. Router works ok (PC and Mac are connected through
> cables), WLAN works ok because I can access my mail from
> the Newton through my WLAN card and Hiroshi's driver.
>
> I dimly remember I once tried using this Ethernet card, and at work
> I only saw the printers that spoke AppleTalk. Since I know
> that my PC and my Mac speak TCP/IP when talking to the
> router, and since I assume that Hiroshi's driver speaks
> TCP/IP, too, I am not sure if what I try to achieve is
> possible at all. Could someone please shed some light on
> this? Prefs settings only allow to use this card for
> Ethertalk and LocalTalk, both of which I assume the router
> doesn't know anything about.

Frank,

First of all make sure you have Farallon ENet and 3c589 packages installed.
When you insert the card you should either get nothing, or a card info slip.
As long as there's no error, you've got the drivers installed and the card is
recognized.

Sounds like all you need to do is create a new Internet Setup for the 3Com
card. Call it 'Wired LAN', connect via Ethernet and select your card from the
list, and have it use DHCP to automatically configure the rest of the network
settings. That should be all you need.